Read Message

PAUL F: third party antivirus software

hi this is paul. i am seeking recomendations on what antivirus works best with system access and that is speech friendly. i was told by my tech support person who has been doing pc repair since 1981 and recently retired from selu university. He says that windows defender is not full featured and that its verry unsafe to not have antivirus software on the pc. i have told him that i use screen readers several times that he has worked on my pc. i need any help yall can provide.

Date:

Richard Wells: Re: third party antivirus software

I categorically disagree with your advisor on security software. Windows Defender continues to receive excellent reviews on protection from all types of malware. It is all I use and recommend.

Date:

lauropurcil1955: Re: third party antivirus software

Thanks Richard for coming in.

Date:

crayton benner: Re: third party antivirus software

I don't tend to reccomend third party antivirus software for windows at all now anymore. It's either way to expensive to not accessible at all with screen readers.

Date:

Rose Combs: Re: third party antivirus software

I used Norton in the 1990s and it was wonderful but in 2003 they messed that up and now McAfee is a total useless software for me. I used Wiondows Defender since around 2005 and no problems unless tech people decide they should put something on myy computer that does not work because the company recommends it which Is why I have not taking this cop;uter to any tech store brecause they put backup and antivirus software on that I could not use regardless of what I said about it.

This computer was picked up at Costco by a cousin without me lest I tell her I did not want a Dell which she has so it is best... Right, which has been a pain since my birthday in July and I dislike many things about it including Windows 11!

Date:

Rose Combs: Re: third party antivirus software

I use Windows antivirus but MacFee will not uninstall and I can't use it, no way to do anything except renew it or try to uninstall it which never happens so I get the rew option about three times a week. Junk!

Date:

Rose Combs: Mcafee!Re: third party antivirus software

My computer has Mcafee antivirus whikch does not work with JAWS! I keep trying to remove it when it tells me to renew or uninstall but it won't remove ever, I end up with a scren that does not read anything but "blank" no matter what I do. I tried a supposed removal tool but it wants me to do something with a picture I can't see, no help here! I really wish it would disappear without me having to call and argue with their tech support, tried that once withoug the program going away! So very annoying since I got this computer in July with this program that does not work ever so I can see what is going on so why should I renew it when I can't use it and it costs money I don't need to spend on useless programs?

Date: