Read Message

Scott D: Is This A New Feature?

Over the weekend I noticed while reading my emails that when it hits upon a link that it's developed a beep. Is this a new feature that I should just get used to, or can I turn this off? I know that within preferences that you can be alerted of a capital letter with a beep, but I've always kept that off. So I'm wondering about this new situation.

Date:

Brandon M: Re: Is This A New Feature?

this has always been a feature. at least, it's been around since i joined in 2010.

Date:

Zoraida Morrison: Re: Is This A New Feature?

I have been using System Access screen reader for many years, and there has always been a beep when a link is read. The purpose of the beep is to differentiate the link from plain text. If the beep does not sound, you will never know that there is a link in your E-mail message or even on a webpage, and you will not be able to make use of such link.

Date:

Scott D: Re: Is This A New Feature?

Okay, thanks for all of the input. But Mine has always verbally just said, "link."

Date:

Zoraida Morrison: Re: Is This A New Feature?

Okay Scott, here is how you can get SA to say link instead of getting the beep:
From the Sero homepage, go to Preferences, which is almost at the bottom of the homepage.
Once in Preferences, go to General.
Once in General, begin tabbing until you get to a setting called, "Link alert type." Stop here and use your up and down arrow keys to see the three options you have, which are tone, word, or none. If you want SA to say the word "link," leave the focus on the option called "word," then tab to the OK button and press it to save this option.

Date:

Scott D: Re: Is This A New Feature?

Thanks for the reminder! I know what happened in this case! I usually keep my computer on, but I was out of town over the weekend and had my computer with us, and of course I had it turned off for the trip back home, so when I first turned it back on it had reverted. But once I did play around in preferences I was able to get things as I had and like everything! I just hope I'll remember to do this next time it occurs.

Date: